As an integrative health coach, I teach my clients and The Fit Soul Tribe members the importance of sleep. I consider it a non-negotiable health habit and encourage my clients to create a healthy sleep routine.
Did you know that lack of sleep can cause…
- increases in inflammation in your body
- increases in cortisol levels (your stress hormone)
- decreases in leptin – your hormone that tells you when you are full
- increases in ghrelin – your hormone that tell you when you are hungry
- cravings and addictions that are centered in your brain
In order to protect your health and your hormones, you should be getting at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every single night! Are you actually doing this – or do you need more beauty sleep?!
Here are my top tips for getting better sleep every single night…
TIP 1. Keep a consistent sleep schedule. This means getting up at the same time every day (yes, even on weekends) and going to bed at the same time every night. Make sure your bedtime is early enough that you’ll be getting at least 7 hours of sleep every night.
TIP 2. Don’t go to bed until you are sleepy. If you don’t fall asleep within 20 minutes, get out of bed. We want to keep our bed for sleep (and sex and sickness) only, so if you’re struggling to fall asleep, the best thing you can do is get up and take care of whatever is probably on your mind so that you can go back to bed and fall asleep with ease.
TIP 3. Make your bed “sleep ready.” Keep your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Also, be sure to keep your bedroom at a comfortable, cool temperature.
TIP 4. Avoid things that disrupt sleep. Turn off electronics at least 1 hour before you plan to go to bed. Avoid eating a large meal right before bed – if you’re hungry, eat a light snack. Avoid caffeine in the afternoon and alcohol before bedtime. Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime so you don’t have to get up in the middle of the night.
TIP 5. Exercise regularly! This will actually help you sleep better!
Need more sleep support? I recommend the following supplements to help you get a good night’s sleep…
- 100-300mg each of lemon herb, valerian, passionflower, and chamomile (these can be utilized separately or combined)
- 3g of Glycine one hour before bedtime
- 200mg of L-theanin at bedtime
- 300-600mg of Magnesium glycinate at bedtime